Thursday, July 17, 2008

HDHomeRun

So late last year I needed a way to view OTA HD broadcasts. I searched around, and while I originally was thinking about purchasing a PCI or USB based capture device, a friend mentioned that he had been looking at the SiliconDust HDHomeRun device.

Essentially the HDHomeRun is an ATSC/QAM tuner with an Ethernet output. The device connects to an over the air antenna or unencrypted cable coax jack and then sends beautiful MPEG2 signals across your home network. They have a rather primitive Config tool for windows to allow you to look up and view channels, but to really use the device you should connect it to MythTV, BeyondTV, or some other computer based DVR program (I personally use MythTV and highly recommend it).

Next post: a review of the Over-The-Air Digital signals in my area!

No comments: